As incoming President for the new year, I want to say how proud I am to be associated with such a fine group.
The Fort Worth Fly Fishers has evolved for nearly 35 years into what it is today - a dynamic club of folks who not only love the art of fly fishing, but share their time and efforts to help others. As someone once said, service to others is the best work of life.
I once asked Russell Husted how I could ever fill his shoes. He said, "Eat more!". No, we owe Russell so much for his 3 years at the helm of our club. We made sure that he was helped by Board members who took their job seriously to make the FWFFs click right along. The direction we take from here depends on many of us helping out as before to make 2013 even better.
We always ask our members for suggestions to improve the club. I want the membership to feel they are an integral part of the directions we take. Meanwhile, several ideas have come to light which might improve an entity which already works well:
- We will be updating our directory with fresh information on each of you.
- New members will be asked what they wish to get out of the club regarding learning the sport. Things such as casting, tying, reading the water, fly selection, places to fish, entomology, knots, leaders and tippets, places to fish, etc. A mentor will be assigned for a one-on-one to get you kick-started.
- Name recognition has always been a problem. "I'll never forget old what's-his-name". Board members will have badges with their name and special duty. All members will be given a pin-on holder for their name, to be worn at all meetings. It's hard to make new friends without a name.
- We will place ads in the newspaper and other publications to gain new members. A brochure is being developed to be placed in plastic holders at most outdoor specialty stores in our area,
- Our outings and local events will be announced well ahead in the year so you can mark your calendars in advance. Mike Mendez will take my place as Outings Director and already has a schedule to share.
- Our annual fund raising auction will again be held at University Christian Church near TCU. This is our primary fund-raising activity and all are encouraged to help Eric James in making this the best one ever.
- In addition to the Fly of the Month in the newsletter, we will have the Picture of the Month submitted by a selected member, Fly Fishing Tips of the Month, and the best fly fishing story selected to be published.
- There will be kayaks, kick boats, canoes and float tubes made available for the members by other members who wish to share these watercraft when not being used. I list of names and type craft offered will be available on the website.
- With Russell now heading up the Texas Council of the International Federation of Fly Fishers, we will work closely with this group to better us all.
These are just a few things we will be doing this year. We encourage all the fresh ideas we can get. Again, I look forward to serving as your President in 2013. It should be an exciting year.
The club is growing. We have 27 new members since the first of the year.
RON & JULIE WOOTEN
Club, it has been a pleasure to serve you for the past 3 years. Begining in January 2013, a new President and Board will be in place to continue to lead this great club. I will remain on the BOD as VP for one year, and will also be very active in the formation of the NEW Texas Council. Stay tuned for more exciting news!!!
Signing out, Russell Husted
Hey Gang, need to contact someone on the board?? Look here: